Keep looking; don't settle. -Steve Jobs

Like Mother, Like Daughter

August 17, 2007

I did not have enough cash with me and so my mother lent me a thousand bucks so I could pay my long overdue Internet bill. After handing out the 2 crisp five-hundred peso bills to me, we parted ways. As she turned her back on me, I pretended to walk in the general direction of the payment center. Then I watched her - counting her steps as she lengthened the distance between us. Like a torpedo that has zoomed in on its target, she could not be stopped from her tracks - each step brought her closer to her destination: her favorite shoe store. And the target: a pair of slip-ons she's been dying to have since laying eyes on them a week ago. But today, the slip-ons are on sale. It's only when she had stepped inside the shoe store that I actually started walking in the general direction of the payment center. But so unlike my torpedo mother, I got detoured to a bookstore. I'll just check if the books I like are on sale, I muttered to myself. Nearing the shop, I saw the huge sign screaming: Up to 65% off! At that point, my pulse started to race, my steps quickened and in a split second I was transformed into a torpedo zooming in on a series of targets. Just give me 15 minutes, I told myself. There it was in the Literary section, Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. Not far from it, in the General Fiction shelf, I picked up Special Topics in Calamity Physics and a few strides from the counter, I saw Crichton's Next. I just couldn't ignore the ignorable Crichton. The damage: Php 864. Savings: Php 201! Don't you just love it when bookstores go on sale? I do.
Now, where to? Ah yes, to the payment center. Except I didn't have enough cash with me again to settle my bill. Oh, well I'm their most loyal client - didn't switch, even when offered a better deal by the competition. They will not mind if I'm behind my payment. Tomorrow I'll zoom in on the payment center. In the meantime, let me find a vacant seat in the food court and let me enjoy my books. As for my mother, she will understand. She should. She's supposed to buy someone a gift but then changed her mind. You already know why.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

gucci outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike outlet, replica watches, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, longchamp, sac longchamp, polo ralph lauren outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, longchamp outlet, prada handbags, tory burch outlet, kate spade outlet, nike roshe run, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin outlet, ugg boots, michael kors, burberry, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, chanel handbags, ugg boots, nike air max, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, louis vuitton, air max, louis vuitton, air jordan pas cher, nike free, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin pas cher, louboutin shoes, tiffany and co, longchamp outlet, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses

Unknown said...

north face outlet, p90x workout, soccer shoes, ray ban, beats by dre, birkin bag, north face outlet, nike trainers, valentino shoes, mont blanc, new balance, instyler, jimmy choo shoes, iphone cases, vans shoes, nike huarache, converse, babyliss, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, asics running shoes, vans, hollister, oakley, insanity workout, ghd, lancel, abercrombie and fitch, nfl jerseys, mcm handbags, nike air max, gucci, timberland boots, reebok shoes, soccer jerseys, hollister, ferragamo shoes, louboutin, baseball bats, hollister, chi flat iron, nike roshe, nike air max, lululemon, herve leger, longchamp, wedding dresses, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, converse outlet