Keep looking; don't settle. -Steve Jobs

Technolust: eee PC 701

July 30, 2007

This one is definitely on my wish list. No, scratch that. This one is certainly on my must-buy-as-soon-as-possible list. Better yet, I am listing this one under my will-buy-as-soon-as-it-comes-out list. Such is my lust for eee PC 701. But the technolust doesn’t stop there: I’m having daydreams about my “3e” (christened by Mean): “3e” and I lounging in a coffee shop; “3e” and I enjoying wireless surfing in my bed; “3e” sitting on my lap while I am blogging about our first night together; “3e” and I spending endless hours together unbound from any cable, slow dial-up access and heavy load.

But I am not the only one who wants to scoop up an eee PC 701 as soon as it hits the market in mid-August. The rest of the world does. Since its formal launch at Computex in Taiwan last June, geeks and ungeeks alike couldn’t stop talking and speculating about it. Local forums, particularly the one at TipidPC have interesting and humor-filled discussion threads on the nifty gadget. What’s the buzz all about?

The eee PC 701 is the result of the formidable team-up of Asus and Intel to come up with the first ever ultra-mobile PC (umpc) aimed at the consumer and education markets. Its most attractive selling point is its suggested retail price of US$ 250 for the 8 GB flash version. Here are the specs:

  • Display: 7"
  • Processor: Intel mobile CPU (Intel 910 chipset, 900MHz Dothan Pentium M)
  • Memory: 512MB DDR2 RAM
  • OS: Linux (Asus customized flavor)
  • Storage: 8GB or 16GB flash hard drive
  • Webcam: 300K pixel video camera
  • Battery life: 3 hours using 4-cell battery
  • Weight: 2lbs (0.89 kg)
  • Dimensions: 8.9 in x 6.5 in x 0.82 in - 1.37 in (width x depth x thickness)
  • Ports: 3 USB ports, 1 VGA out, SD card reader, modem, Ethernet, headphone out, microphone in

A quick look at the specs reveals that it is a capable low-power mobile device, sufficient for the most basic demands and needs of a mobile lifestyle. It is not designed though to replace your desktop PC or even your notebook, rather it’s a perfect companion on the go for your laptop. I see it as capable enough to fill in the mobility and ultraportability feature my 2.4-kg 14.1” Compaq notebook lacks. If only it has a 3g modem then it would have been the perfect mobile mate.

The unit comes pre-installed with Linux OS, Firefox web browser and Open Office Suite. But it is Windows XP – compatible.

The 3e’s stand for easy to learn, easy to work and easy to play. We may as well add up another e: easy on the budget. But as always you can expect local computer stores to ruin the entire gadget-shopping experience for you. PC Corner has already posted their jacked-up prices in their website:

04Gb Flash ---------> Php 13,999.00

08Gb Flash ---------> Php 15,999.00

16Gb Flash ---------> Php 17,999.00


Hopefully the local I.T. retail business will come to its senses and realize the reason why Asus and Intel came up with eee PC 701 in the first place is to make the mobile technology more affordable to consumers. Oh well, I’m sure there will be other ways and places where one can acquire this gadget at a more reasonable price. If there is lust, there is a way.

eee PC 701 on You Tube:

No comments: